Piston Cup Racers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston Cup Racers

My wee boy loves the race cars from the first cars film, they are pretty scarce nowadays though and if you go looking on ebay etc it seems to be the same ones that come up over and over again (leakless, rpm, nitroade), I was just wondering if someone has a list of the ones that have been released so we can try and collect them, we only have about 10 so its gonna take a while but having the list to start off with would be a great help.

That's on my list of things to do... I may see about working on a check list with pictures this weekend.

Not all have been released as singles... 35 of the 36 were released as Kmart Cars with rubber tires (not Apple)... 19 were released as Pit Row Race-off launchers... some were released as Lightyear Launchers.

I've written several articles on Piston Cup racers - you can find them in the Articles section of the forum... I do intend to take pictures of my Speedway of the South set racers one of these days as well.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

A straight list of race cars are as follows:

RPM #64
      Apple Car #84
      Bumper Save #90
      Chick Hicks #86
      Clutch Aid #121
      Dale Jr. #8
      Easy Idle #51
      Faux Wheel Drive Dirt Decals #54
      Fiber Fuel #56
      Gask-it's #80
      Gasprin #70
      Leak Less #52
      Lightning McQueen #95
      Lil' Toquey #117
      Mood Springs #33
      n2O Cola #68
      Nitroade #28
      No Stall #123
      Octain Gain #58
      Retread Roll-on #79
      Rev 'n' Go #73
      Revolting Rebuilt Alternators #84
      Shifty Drug #35
      Shiny Wax #82
      Sidewall Shine #74
      Sparemint #93
      Sputter Stop #92
      Tach-o-mint #101
      Tank Coat #36
      The King #43
      Tow Cap #4
      Transberry Juice #63
      Trunk Fresh #34
      View Zeen Corrective Windshields #39
      Vinyl Top in a Can #76
      Vitoline #61

Comment

Here's a picture showing the Kmart rubber tire racers and a custom Apple - and there are some Kmart 6 Cars2 rubber tire racers in the top row - Not counting the Deluxe Cars sitting on top of the display case...

Top (1st) row: King (43), Chick Hicks (86), followed by Cars2 Francesco Bernoulli, Nigel Gearsley, and Shu Todoroki
        2nd row: Lightning McQueen (95), Tach O Mint (101), View Zeen (39), Nitroade (28), Sidewall Shine (74), Shiny Wax (82), custom Gask-Its (80)
        3rd row: Dale Jr (8), Transberry Juice (63), Sputter Stop (92), Spare Mint (93), Faux Wheel Drive (54), Gask-Its (80), Tank Coat (36)
        4rh row: Vinyl Toupee (76), Revolting (84), Leakless (52), Gasprin (70), Vitoline (61), RPM (64), Fiber Fuel (56)
        5th row: custom Apple (84), Lil Torquey Pistons (117), Clutch Aid (121), Octane Gain (58), N2O Cola (68), Trunk Fresh (34), Rev N Go (73)
        bottom (6th) row: Easy Idle (51), Retread (79), Mood Springs (33), No Stall (123), Bumper Save (90), Tow Cap (4), Shifty Drug (35)

I'll work on individual photos one of these days.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

thanks guys, Chris - i only have 10 of these guys but with the exception of vinyl toupee - i have your entire 4th row!

Comment

I've been thinking of possibly trying to gather a set of these. I prefer rubber tires, but plastic will do just fine. And of course, I'd have to commission a custom Apple.

Octane Gain is my favourite for some reason. Not sure why. I think the fact that his crew chief is NOT a pickup truck is what I like most lol.

Transformers for Trade
            Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

My favourites are li torquey pistons and N20 Cola, but i like them all to be honest. They also seem much less flimsy than the WGP racers - im saying that based on ben playing with them and he has managed to take the spoilers off of some of the F1 style cars just by shooting them out the launchers!

Who makes the apple cars?

Comment

they were the start of me seriously collecting cars - i set about getting all 36 and it just spun out of control from there

Comment

Currently one of the customizers who makes custom Cars (and Apples) is Willie from CustomToyRevolution... I have 2 of his customs and have talked with him about making more... he's not cheap - the Apple I got that he made was $65 shipped, but he does fantastic work... 2 others who had made customs for me in the past are no longer making them and appear to have dropped off the face of the earth...

Comment

are some of the piston cup racers only released with rubber tyres?

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post
                    That's on my list of things to do... I may see about working on a check list with pictures this weekend.

Not all have been released as singles... 35 of the 36 were released as Kmart Cars with rubber tires (not Apple)... 19 were released as Pit Row Race-off launchers... some were released as Lightyear Launchers.

I've written several articles on Piston Cup racers - you can find them in the Articles section of the forum... I do intend to take pictures of my Speedway of the South set racers one of these days as well.

[Hi there, would you please know whether the piston cup racers were all released with rubber tyres and plastic tyres? Im trying to complete our set, we have predominantly plastic tyres but cant seem to find a few cars with these they seem to be available with the rubber synthetic only?
                    Or is it just that they are hard to get hold of?! Thanks for anyones help!!

Comment

Hi claren... to answer your questions...

35 of the 36 Piston Cup racers were released with synthetic (rubber) tires... only Apple was not.

Outside of the Speedway of the South set, only 34 of the 3 Piston Cup racers were released with plastic tires... Tach-O-Mint was only released with rubber tires outside the of the Speedway of the South set.

The only official release of the #84 Apple Car was in the Speedway of the South set... there were a few released as what are called backdoor versions... there are customizers who make custom Apple racer(s) with rubber or plastic tires.

Many of the Piston Cup racers are not easy to find today... we may see more of them re-released in the coming months/years.

Comment

[Hi there, would you please know whether the piston cup racers were all released with rubber tyres and plastic tyres? Im trying to complete our set, we have predominantly plastic tyres but cant seem to find a few cars with these they seem to be available with the rubber synthetic only?
                        Or is it just that they are hard to get hold of?! Thanks for anyones help!!

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply. So in theory I should be able to get the collection all with plastic tyres, rather than mix styles - if I look hard enough or am willing to pay!
                          Thanks for your help, I will persevere!

Comment

As cac1959 mentioned you will have real trouble finding a plastic tyre tach-o-mint and the apple you purchase will either be a custom,a backdoor version with imperfections or the original that came with the set which will cost an arm and a leg.

Comment

someone currently on ebay uk who is selling the original set off one by one, it would appear he wants £24.99 for each race car and £350. for the icar. Dont know if that helps you any.

Comment

Working...
                              X